You will need:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom … my very favorite spice in the world !!!
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and orange zest together and set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars together on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat for 5 seconds.
Add half of the flour mixture and mix for 15 seconds. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. Scrape down the bowl, add the oats, and beat until just combined. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to fold in the dried berries and pistachios.
Cover the bowl tightly and refrigerate for about an hour.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets and press lightly.
I love love love cardamom in many things but baked in to an oatmeal cookie these are to die for. I also like to dip half of the cookie in to a white chocolate and let set up this is a really impressive but simple cookie to make.